Saturday, November 5, 2011

Rutabaga

When I saw this recipe from The Pioneer Woman, I knew I wanted to try it. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/roasted-root-vegetable-candy/ I love making sweet potato fries, so I figured I would probably like this too. Then at a party Matt and I recently went to, our friend made similar veggies using this recipe: http://casayellow.com/autumn-vegetables-en-papillote/#more-1196. Then I knew I had to make it. It was so good and healthy and gourmet. :) So I picked what I liked from both recipes and made my own. I used a sweet potato, rutabaga, carrots, garlic, and butter. When I was checking out at the grocery store, the cashier saw my rutabaga and said it was the "nastiest vegetable" she'd ever eaten. I'd never had rutabaga (or even seen one for that matter), so her opinion made me a little nervous. What if it tasted horrible and ruined my beautiful sweet potato? But, you always need to try something at least once, so I took it home with me anyway. If you've never had a rutabaga, I will describe to you what it smelled like while I was chopping it up: dirt and milk weed. I didn't have high hopes for it, but I was still very curious about what it would taste like. 
So, how was the rutabaga?
I'm not sure. I liked it, but it tasted mainly like carrots. Maybe it's like tofu and takes on the flavor of what it's with. Maybe not. All I know is that if the lady at the store tasted my roasted rutabaga, she might not harbor such negative feelings toward them. Let go of that root of bitterness!!
Haha...oh wordplay.
Through this whole fall season, I've struggled with cutting gourds and root vegetables. Has anyone invented a gourd knife yet? There is a major need. My little biceps are not cutting it. This is something of what I'm imagining:
 The most important features are the large, rounded knife and the hand cushion on top. Clever?
Haha...I think I just wasted ten minutes of my life drawing that. But when I sell my idea for a million bucks, it won't be so wasted, huh? Ha...yeah right.
~~~~~~~~~
I'm listening to Christmas music now. It's wonderful. Never too early to start celebrating, right?
~~~~~~~~~
Matt comes home in 3 days!!! No more rigs for two whole weeks. Woohoo! 
~~~~~~~~~
This is what I learned from Mom this morning: 

"Earth's crammed with heaven, and every common bush afire with God; But only he who sees, takes off his shoes--The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries."
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

How often do we simply pick blackberries instead of seeing our Creator who made the bush delicious and healthy for us? He made this planet for us to enjoy and take care of. We should not take it for granted! When He shows us His majesty and love for us through the beautiful things He created, we should recognize it! Make a conscientious effort today to see Him in your surroundings. He is beautiful!

1 comment:

Ginab said...

Love the desire to try new things! rutabaga!! Wish I could try it.